Thursday, November 20, 2008

Parent-Teacher Conference

This morning was Ding Ding's parent-teacher conference. I attended in person and Nick came in my pocket via speakerphone. Nothing too bloggable it seemed business as usual crammed into 30 short minutes and I barely got a word in edgewise. Nick also tried to chime in, but it was mostly the teacher chattering on about what the first quarter of Kindergarten is all about: socialization and learning letters.

I was armed with Ding Ding's progress report as well as an online reading assessment that we administered. I hardly got the chance to discuss anything. I don't even believe that "Do you have any questions?" was asked before we were in there over 40 minutes and had to leave.

I specifically brought up the fact that my daughter can identify and put in order all numbers from 1-100 but did not appear so on the progress report. The teacher basically said that the progress report reflected what they are doing in class and was not tailored to my child as much as I assumed. She also said she would have loved to give her an "E" for exceeds in reading but shouldn't. I have no idea what that meant. If my child exceeds the Kindergarten reading benchmarks (which she clearly does) than why can't you say so?

Now I am back to square one and would like to talk to the teacher a little more but was already blown off and told to wait for conferences. I guess I will have to wait until 2nd quarter. Do they even have conferences after 2nd quarter? Hmmmmm (steps away from computer for a moment) Yes! I get to wait until February 9th right before the completely useless Mid-Winter recess where they don't have school for a week from February 16th-20th. I can't wait to be snowed in with my daughter for an entire week.

Please excuse my bitter mood about this whole thing. I will be patient and hope for a less confusing teacher next year.

No comments: