Bailey chose Mad Libs Valentines for her class this year. They were cute! Here is an example of one:
My _____(adjective) Valentine, Have a/an _____(adjective) day and don't forget who your _____(adjective) ______(noun) is!
Bailey read us a completely random selection from her completed cards. It goes a little like this:
My black Valentine, Have a groovy day and don't forget who your spiky cow is!
You probably guessed where this was going. . . this card was addressed to her friend Denzel. Denzel is African American. That makes this Valentine card a do-over. Bailey was offended I flat out told her she cannot give this card to her friend. She said "But, I was talking about the color black! Black is an adjective!" She made a new Valentine and used orange instead of black and maintains the whole thing was a coincidence. I believe her and apologized for making her scrap her first one.
I'm pretty sure I made a good move since I've never met this kid's parents and Bailey would not appreciate it if I stapled a disclaimer letter to her Valentine.
My _____(adjective) Valentine, Have a/an _____(adjective) day and don't forget who your _____(adjective) ______(noun) is!
Bailey read us a completely random selection from her completed cards. It goes a little like this:
My black Valentine, Have a groovy day and don't forget who your spiky cow is!
You probably guessed where this was going. . . this card was addressed to her friend Denzel. Denzel is African American. That makes this Valentine card a do-over. Bailey was offended I flat out told her she cannot give this card to her friend. She said "But, I was talking about the color black! Black is an adjective!" She made a new Valentine and used orange instead of black and maintains the whole thing was a coincidence. I believe her and apologized for making her scrap her first one.
I'm pretty sure I made a good move since I've never met this kid's parents and Bailey would not appreciate it if I stapled a disclaimer letter to her Valentine.
1 comment:
Oh, the realities of political correctness. Sorry, Bailey; we still live in an imperfect world.
Post a Comment