Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Feeling "Crunchy"

I am not a "crunchy" type person. A crunchy person is described as liking natural stuff like granola. I don't think of it as a derogatory term. I like flavored water (without carbonation) and pizza two unnatural things. I guess I am soggy. I have nothing against organic stuff, I have more eclectic tastes that include Pop Tarts.

The crunchier types on a local online message board love their CSA produce. I would have called it a co-op, but 'round these parts, they are referred to as Community Supported Agriculture. You pay the farmer $300 and the farmer gives you a bag (about 10lbs) of produce every week from their farm. I just found out that there is a pick up site right near my home. This would solve 3 problems:

1. We never try new foods. You get quite a variety of stuff and it challenges you to make stuff with it. I'll post a list below.

2. We can't plant a garden this summer. The past 2 summers, we have planted a garden. This year we plan on moving in July making a garden a waste. Don't worry, the move is nothing major, just down the street.

3. I hate gardening. We plant the garden and eat stuff out of it, but it is a pain in my butt. There are WORMS, sun, mud and worst of all, there are Tomatoes!!! Nick hates tomatoes and I hate worms. I also hate the sun. We were planning on doing a couple of containers so they can move with us but now we can save ourselves the trouble.


I guess the farm that I have chosen is Certified Organic and that can't hurt, but I'm not concerned about the "Organic" label. I want convenience, vegetables and most of all, no WORMS.

I am thinking with going with Porter Farms.
Following is a list of vegetables you can anticipate each month (weather permitting):

June (season typically starts 3rd Saturday)
- Beets (Red, Golden and Chiugga)
- Lettuce (Romaine, Boston, Oakleaf, Red and Green Leaf)
- Peas (Snow and Snap)
- Spinach
- Swiss Chard (Red, Green and Golden)

July
- Beets
- Cucumbers
- Green Beans
- Lettuce
- Peas
- Summer Squash (Sunburst, Yellow and Zucchini)
- Swiss Chard

August
- Beets
- Cucumbers
- Green Beans
- Eggplant
- Leeks
- Cantaloupe
- Butterscotch Melon (new this year!)
- Watermelon (Red and Yellow)
- Onions (Red and Yellow)
- Peppers (Colored Bell, Hungarian and Jalapeno, Pablano, Banana, Ethnic Sweet, Cubanelle)
- Summer Squash
- Tamatillas
- Tomatoes (Roma, Grape, Heirloom, Sun Gold)

September
- Beets
- Green Beans
- Broccoli
- Cabbage(Red, Green and Savoy)
- Cucumbers
- Eggplant
- Collards
- Kale (Green and LaCinata)
- Leeks
- Lettuce
- Cantaloupe
- Butterscotch Melon
- Watermelon
- Onions
- Peppers
- Summer Squash
- Winter Squash (Acorn, Delicata, Butternut and Buttercup)
- Swiss Chard
- Tomatillas
- Tomatoes
- Pumpkins

October
- Beets
- Broccoli
- Cabbage
- Cucumbers
- Gourds
- Collards
- Kale
- Leeks
- Lettuce
- Onions
- Peppers
- Spinach
- Winter Squash
- Swiss Chard
- Tomatoes
- Turnips
- Pumpkins

November (season typically ends the Saturday prior to Thanksgiving)
- Beets
- Broccoli
- Brussels Sprouts
- Cabbage
- Cauliflower
- Collards
- Kale
- Leeks
- Onions
- Spinach
- Winter Squash
- Swiss Chard
- Turnips
- Pumpkins

Before we actually start getting vegetables, I have to make sure Nick is interested and look up some recipes for turnips.

3 comments:

Patricia said...

that's a lot of produce!! no carrots?

Iris Bee said...

turnips? who eats turnips? but send me your tomatoes!

Cory Lynn said...

Fresh roasted beets are the best. Wrap them in tin foil and bake like a potato (about 45 minutes and 350 depending on their size). Then the outer peel will rub right off. Slice, top with crumbled blue cheese, viola!

I've never had turnips but I see recipes all the time for root vegetable soup.

I cook weird veggies and stuff all the time.