I don't know if I actually learned ten things, but here it goes:
1. A yard sale is when a skier falls and loses his skis and poles, which end up scattered across the mountainside. (definition from about.com). Nick and Andy taught us that definition before we put skis on. Andy's girlfriend Lane learned first hand.
2. Snow pants look hideous but they are necessary. My legs stayed dry and warm all day.
3. Holiday Valley is as impressive as their commercials suggest. I am a fan. The best part is that it is only an hour away from home.
4. Ski boots are the most uncomfortable piece of sporting equipment ever.
5. Walking in ski boots when you take your skis off makes you walk like a robot.
6. Letting someone else decide how tight to latch your ski boots on to your feet is a bad idea. After 2 hours, my feet were completely numb.
7. Taking a high speed ski lift 4400' up a mountain at night is very stunning and enjoyable.
8. Believing Nick and Andy when they told me I could ski down that same mountain was a MISTAKE. I learned first hand what a face plant felt like. Not quite as entertaining as a yard sale, but painful and scary indeed! Oh boy my neck is stiff and sore.
9. Checking the trail map before skiing down an unfamiliar hill is a good idea. My face plant was in an area marked "more difficult" instead of "easier". It was an honest mistake and I regret heading right instead of left when given the choice. I was scared for my life on the "easier" part of the hill and gently wiped out twice.
10. Taking a tow rope to the top of a baby hill is much more difficult than it looks.
11. Skiing in the rain kinda sucks.
12. I was hoping that it wasn't too late to join the 2010 Winter Olympic Ski Team, but I'm thinking they won't be interested. I'm shooting for 2014. Sochi Russia, here I come!
1 comment:
sounds like a great avdenture!
Post a Comment