Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Leaving Town

Here we are in January again trying to budget Nick's vacation days which brings us to the topic of VACATION. We haven't been anywhere aside from Niagara Falls in over a year. All of Nick's days off were spent visiting Ohio. So we have decided that we want to go somewhere. A few problems arise:

1. Sarah doesn't want to go anywhere where the weather will be above 75 degrees Fahrenheit. I hate hate hate warm weather.

2. Tom Brady doesn't want to visit Disney World. If you notice in every single advertisement they use fireworks. Fireworks = SCARY! I was there a little over a year ago and tried to look at Disney through the eyes of my daughter and it sucked. She would hate it even if we promised no fireworks.

3. If we go anywhere that would require a hotel stay, it would be quite a drag every night after 8pm when Tom Brady goes to sleep and Nick and I have to watch TV on mute with closed captioning for 2 hours until we get to go to bed.

4. We aren't quite financially stable enough for a real vacation like an Alaskan Cruise, a trip to the pyramids in Egypt or a scuba vacation in Australia.

We have decided to visit the Lowcountry of Charleston, South Carolina. Land of Sweetgrass baskets and our good friends from college. Weather permitting, we should be there in mid February when there is probably not much to do but hang out. We are looking forward to lots of doing nothing and not freezing our butts off. Even better, we will not be melting either like the last time we went during the month of July.

The best part is that I made a reservation to rent a car from Thrifty Car Rental. I chose to use their "wild car" special. I pay a turbo cheap rate for a mid size car or larger. It will be a surprise what I get. Woo Hoo! I love surprises. No Toyota Yaris for us!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

ahhh...that is exciting but you are suppose to vacation in Disney so you can babysit my hundred kids...we are trying to book in mid february too...

Patricia said...

don't knock the toyota yaris -- I have some found memories of that car :)

Gramma Bee said...

Well, I'M jealous. How big is your suitcase? I'll go with!

Anonymous said...

South Carolina is cool. I agree with your child... I hate Disney. Have fun.

Purplesocklady said...

We stayed at a Comfort Suites when we went to NY last summer. Two "rooms" (actually a partial wall between the areas, but it made all the difference in the world), for just a little more than the cramped one room you get at most hotels. A TV in each side, and privacy + ref microwave. It was HEAVEN.

Justin said...

I hope you get a Ford Taurus