Wednesday, March 18, 2009

silence is golden

This afternoon I was upstairs organizing pictures and Tom Brady was chattering on about her upcoming birthday party. Harry Potter this and Ravenclaw that. . . lightning bolts and sorting hats. Oh my gosh, she must have talked nonstop for 2 hours. To give you an idea of the chatter capacity of this small child, I took a stack of about 160 photos and put them in chronological order. Then I put them in order in a photo album. I also put a label on each page. What a masterpiece I created while I pretended to listen to my precious little nerdling ramble on about her birthday party that is still 6 months away.

After realizing that it was getting close to 7pm, I headed downstairs to prepare a quick dinner and get the child to bed. While I prepared dinner, she kept jumping and talking and bothering and running and hanging. She was out of control.

As we headed upstairs, Tom Brady was belting out a song at the top of her lungs because she is a professional singer. She proclaimed that her bedroom floor was now a dance floor and the light fixture downstairs began to shake. This child clearly is showing the signs of caffeination. She asked for "just a sip" of my 24oz. Diet Pepsi. I warned her of the side effects of caffiene on children and she drank the rest of the bottle under my neglectful watch.

I read her 3 chapters of a book to settle her down only to find out that the dance floor was re-opened after the book reading. More singing, dancing and more discussion about her birthday party. At 8:40pm, I got her into bed and escaped. I was so exhausted I let her sleep in her clothes because I feared I might hear the phrase "Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry" again. Anything but that!

Now it is almost 10pm and I am fading fast. That child wore me out. I am haggard. I am tattered. I am going to turn to Chapter 8 in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire and continue reading because it is what I am reading at the moment. Oh Harry Potter how I wish I had something else to read tonight.

3 comments:

Patricia said...

how did the pizza turn out? we had less than stellar hamburger helper. it was actually kinda gross.

Anonymous said...

Speaking of Harry Potter--do you watch Lost? The young version of Ben looks just like him!

Aimee said...

This is my life times 4. Sometimes it takes all my will power to keep from shouting, "Everyone shut up!!!" Actually, I may have shouted that a few times. sigh....